Each independent school is distinguished by its academic program. They provide a safe, high-quality environment where children have access to a wide range of activities to hone their talents and interests.
These schools recognize that each child is unique, develops at their own pace, and has specific needs. Each student therefore receives the attention they need to thrive.
- Independent schools are attentive to the needs of both parents and children. They have the ability to react quickly in order to adapt to each student’s needs and the demands of each family that is a part of the community.
- Independent schools welcome students from diverse backgrounds. Their commitment to excellence means ensuring that each of their students can reach their full potential.
Beyond the classroom, independent schools offer a wide variety of activities and opportunities for their students to enjoy positive, motivating experiences.
- Students have access to multiple opportunities to develop different extracurricular interests: sports, art, community activities, academic entrepreneurship, multimedia, robotics, etc.
- By exploring their city and traveling, as well as participating in activities like “young parliamentarians,” model UN, career days, and conferences, students have the chance to thrive and discover their passion.
A STRONG SENSE
Subsidized independent schools in Quebec are not-for-profit organizations, and some are co-operatives run by parents or employees. They are an important part of Quebec tradition and are firmly anchored in their communities. The result is a strong sense of belonging that extends well beyond the years children spend in school.
- Families choose an independent school that matches their values and their vision for education.
- Independent schools encourage parental collaboration to help achieve their missions.
- Alumni involvement contributes to creating a dynamic environment.
QUEBEC IS ONE OF THE PLACES IN AMERICA WHERE
PRIVATE SCHOOL IS THE MOST AFFORDABLE.
Independent schools distinguish themselves by supporting their staff and investing in professional development. These efforts promote staff loyalty, as well as a commitment to the school and its academic programs.
- Each independent school hires its own employees. Teachers and staff members are chosen based on their compatibility with the school’s academic program.
- Independent schools are autonomous, which gives them the necessary leeway to respond effectively to student and parent needs. Their independence allows them to remain agile and adapt to our ever-evolving society’s requirements.
ACADEMICS THAT PROMOTE BALANCE
Independent schools are leading partners in facilitating work-family balance. They offer various services outside of classroom hours, like homework help, as well as a wide range of sports, cultural, and community activities.
HIGH SUCCESS RATES
At independent schools, the 5-year graduation rate is 93,1%, compared to 76,5% in the public system*. Moreover, each year, students at independent schools stand out thanks to the excellent grades they receive on the Ministry’s exams.
* Source : MEES, TSE, DGSEG, DIS, Taux de diplomation par cohorte au secondaire – Édition 2017
Independent school administrations are responsible for the quality of their facilities. As not-for-profit organizations, independent schools are required to reinvest all the funding they receive into their educational mission. A portion of these funds is also dedicated to the maintenance and improvement of its buildings and equipment.
AN ACCESSIBLE MODEL
Quebec is one of the only places in North America where independent school is the more affordable option. Quebec’s subsidized independent school model is similar to those found in many European countries, as well as Australia and New Zealand. In these countries, private school is accessible to a large number of families, giving parents choice when it comes to their children’s education.
In addition, many independent schools are supported by other foundations. Thanks to the generosity of past students and more affluent parents, these schools can take on projects to provide a secure, friendly environment that is built to encourage its students to explore their many interests.
Find a school that will provide a welcoming,
inspiring environment where they can thrive
and reach their full potential.